When it comes to becoming a home based entrepreneur, women seem to have more challenges than men. However, these challenges can easily be overcome with some education and perseverance. Let’s go over these challenges and learn how to deal with them.
1. Being Perceived as Bossy. Sometimes in our society women who are strong are seen as bossy while a male who does the same thing is seen as strong. But, instead of worrying about that perception, women should learn to take charge and not worry about other peoples ideas. When someone calls you out on being bossy stand up for yourself and point out examples of males doing the same thing. When people are exposed to their underlying sexism they will change.
2. Building Networks. Because of the perception that most people who are business owners are men, most groups seem to be male centric. However, today there are many groups that are available for women to join. You can even start your own group like I did with Women Empowering Women Mastermind Group. www.wewmg.com But, don’t wait around for women-centered groups; join the groups that are male dominated and take a leadership position. Don’t be afraid to be a leader.
3. Making Strong Decisions. Because of the perception that women are bossy, some women have a hard time making decisive choices about their lives and careers. But, that’t the worst thing you can do. If you’ve done the research, be sure of your choices and make the decision, knowing that you’re just as smart as anyone else.
4. Being Balanced. It seems that as women we are expected to do everything. We are expected to take care of our spouses, the kids, the house, the animals and our business as well! It’s not really a fair thing for women to have to take all that onto by ourselves. Reality is we can’t or something along the way is going to breakdown. Ask for help. Ask your partner, your kids, your family or even hire someone to take care of those things that you don’t have time for. Hire a housecleaner, lawn service, babysitter (for when you are home and need to work), dog walker. If your really good at building your business then you can spend some money to hire key people in your life to help you be balanced.
5. Fear of Success. This is a problem for a lot of home based women entrepreneurs. Success carries a lot of responsibility and it can be overwhelming at times. Treat yourself the way you want others to treat you. If you want to be a successful home based business owner, you have to see yourself as one first before anyone else will.
6. Finding a mentor/coach. In the USA, women own 10.6 billion businesses and are the fastest growing segment of business owners in the world. The majority of the very successful women business owners have a mentor or a coach or even both! You need to have someone or a group like a mastermind to bounce ideas off, let off steam, and hold you accountable.
About the Author: Doreen Dilger is a Certified Manifest Method Coach, Certified Life Coach, Founder of Women Empowering Women Now, Author and Speaker.