Goal Setting 101. If you want to be successful, one of the most important steps is setting goals. If you just work to get things done, you end up going through the motions with no real purpose or drive. Setting goals gives you something to strive for, and skyrockets your chances of actually being successful, no matter what you set out to do.
To make the most out of setting your goals, there are a few rules to always follow:
* Aim high. While it may seem logical to set goals you know you can reach, that's really not going to make you any more successful than what you are now. To be able to achieve, you need to reach for something just beyond your grasp. Something that will motivate you to do more. Otherwise you'll just end up where you started.
* Be realistic. So, at first glance, this seems to be totally opposite from the last tip. The problem with aiming high is that, if you constantly set goals you can't reach, you're going to fail over and over again. If you keep failing, you're eventually going to give up with goal setting and settle for less than you're capable of achieving.
If your goals are unrealistic, you also run the risk of putting yourself in danger. If you are 100% set on reaching a goal that is simply out of reach, you're going to raise your stress levels. High stress levels can keep you from getting sleep, affect your emotional and mental health, and increase your risk of all kinds of diseases and illnesses.
* Make a plan. Having a goal is great, but you also need to know how to get to your goal. Otherwise you'll end up getting sidetracked with things that distract you from your goals. Once you set your goals, make a plan of exactly how to get there. Most importantly, after you make your plan, follow through. To keep yourself on track, check your plan every so often. This will not only help you make sure you're following the plan, but will also give you a chance to revise your plan if it's no longer the best course of action.
* Hire a coach. Having your goals in mind is great, but if you get distracted or reach a setback, you only really have yourself to be accountable to, and you only have yourself to provide you with encouragement. If you hire a coach, they can help remind you of what you're working for and push you to keep going.
* Keep objectives in mind. When running a home based business, it's easy to get caught up in the day to day and forget about your ultimate goals. That's why it's good to make sure you have reminders in your office of what you're working for. If you're working to provide a better life for your family, keep pictures of your family succeeding. Maybe you have an idol that you want to be like. Post clippings of them and their various successes around the office or on a vision board. These will help keep you focused on your goals and motivated to do the job at hand.
One key in being successful is knowing that even if you fail, you can build and learn from what you did wrong. If you set a goal and fail to meet it, don't give up. Keep trying to reach for the stars.
About the Author: Doreen Dilger is a Certified Manifest Method Coach, Certified Life Coach, Author and Founder of Women Empowering Women Now.