Written by Doreen Dilger, The Home Based Business Coach
As a home based business, I know how important it is to have a unique voice but the key is how to express that to the world. Your blog, website, email newsletter, social media posts and other means with which to communicate with the world is how you’ll share your unique voice, vision and perspective. These things that are unique to you, are what will make your blog stand out from the competition in a way that resonates with your audience.
* Blog Regularly – The first thing you need to know about getting your vision and voice out into the world is that you need to do it regularly. Blog regularly, update social media regularly, appear as a guest regularly and take every opportunity to be yourself representing your brand regularly.
* Mix Up the Formats – A blog doesn’t have to be text based. It can be in the form of infographics, memes, podcasts, videos and more. Use every content format that you can as long as it fits within your brand and the image you want to portray. Repurpose content into new forms to get the word out to more people.
* Create a Plan of Action – The content that you create should have a purpose. The best way to ensure that the purpose matches your goals is to develop a content plan that you will use across all channels and that encompasses all promotions planned and events scheduled. Additionally, your plan can include current events and updated news if you’re ready.
* Understand Your Niche - You can never study your niche enough. Devote some of your time each week to understanding your niche, backwards and forwards. Study the history of your industry as well as what is happening today and what might happen in the future. Keeping your ear to the ground will make you a go-to expert in your niche and keep your blog current.
* Know Your Audience – While you do want to add your own vision and voice, it’s also important to understand how far you can go without upsetting your core audience. For example, if you start a blog for people who choose to be childless and then change your mind, that’s okay, but realize that you’re going to change your audience entirely as well as the focus of your blog.
* Don’t Be Afraid to Be You – One of the most wonderful aspects of being online is the ability to be free to be yourself. You will find support and belonging for any lifestyle. You’ll also find detractors. But, to be truly authentic you cannot worry too much about your detractors. Put your audience and your true self first and foremost.
* Be Consistent across All Channels – Whether it’s your blog or a social media channel, it’s important that you keep the same flavor, voice, and vision apparent in each space. This will make you appear more trustworthy and help your audience get to know you even better.
* Engage Authentically With Your Audience – Outside of blog posts, social media posts and other forms of content that you put out into the world, there are discussions and commenting in which to engage. Be yourself when you engage with your audience, too. They want to know what you really think and this is a great way to do so.
Each blog post or other content that you send out into the world are important all on their own. The content spreads your message, establishes you as an expert, and drives traffic through keywords and more. Each deserves the attention called for to bring your unique voice and vision to them.
Even if you hire someone to write for you as a ghostwriter, it’s important that you edit the content to bring more of yourself to the blog. Whether it’s a sign-off phrase you want to use, or a special way with words that impact the readers doesn’t matter. What matters is that you’re consistently yourself no matter where the content appears.
Have a question or comment about this blog? Please post below. As a way of thanking my audience for participating I am doing a monthly give-a-way for all those who read my blog posts, sign up for my FREE Report or those who participate in any of my seminars. One lucky winner will be picked on the last Friday of each month and announced here on my blog.
Remember all it takes is a plan and specific daily action steps to move you to your goals!
Here’s to your success!
About the Author: Doreen Dilger – Master Motivator, Excuse Eliminator & Goal-get-her. The Home Based Business Coach.